terça-feira, 15 de junho de 2010

OUR QUOTES FROM DEAD POETS SOCIETY

Guys, these are the quotes we worked with in class. We have identified all who's and when's. Now you're supposed to pick 5 and explain them fully.
It's an assignment. You can do it with the partner you worked with in class.

1. (–You gotta calm down)
– No, that’s just my problem. I’ve been calm all my life. I’m gonna do something about that.

2. – What the hell is going on here?
– I don’t hear enough rip.
– Mr. X
– Mr. Y.
– I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were here.
– I am.
– Ah, so you are. Excuse me.


3. – The world’s first flying desk set. Don’t worry, you’ll get another one next year.

4. – Now, in this class you can either call me X, or if you are slightly more daring, O Captain, My Captain.

5. - The point is, that there's nothing you can do about it. So you can just butt out. I can take care of myself just fine. Alright?
- No.
- What do you mean 'no'?
- No!


6. - Why do I stand up here? Anybody?
- To feel taller!
- No! Thank you for playing Mr. Dalton. I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way.


7. I SOUND MY BARBARIC YAWP OVER THE ROOFTOPS OF THE WORLD.

8. - Gentlemen, what are the four pillars?
- Travesty! Horror! Decadence! Excrement!


9. - Don't you ever dispute me in public! Do you understand?
- Father, I wasn't disputing you…
- After you've finished medical school and you're on your own, then you can do as
you damn well please. But until then, you do as I tell you. Is that clear?

10. - Today we're going to be talking about William Shakespeare.
- Oh, God!

11. – I want you all to come over here and take a slip of paper and
line up single file.
- "Oh to struggle against great odds. To meet enemies undaunted."
- Now go on. Yes! Next.
- "To be a sailor of the world, bound for all ports."
- Next. Louder!
- "Oh, I live to be the ruler of life, not a slave."
- (…)
- Come on, Charlie, let it fill your soul!
- "To indeed be a god!"


12. - Well,X, the curriculum here is set. It's proven it works. If you question, what's to prevent them
from doing the same?
- I always thought the idea of educating was to learn to think for yourself.
- At these boys' ages? Not on your life! Tradition, John. Discipline. Prepare them for college, and the rest will take care of itself.

13. - Mr. Keating! They made everybody sign it.
- Quiet, Mr. X.
- You gotta believe me. It's true.
- I do believe you, X.
- Leave, Mr. Keating.
- But it wasn't his fault!
- Sit down, Mr. Anderson! One more outburst from you or anyone else, and
you're out of this school! Leave, Mr. Keating. I said leave, Mr. Keating.
- O Captain! My Captain!

2 comentários:

  1. Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.

    ResponderExcluir
  2. 2. Mr. Keating was making everyone rips out the pages of the book, and than some one get in the class and thought that there was no teacher, because that was not normal in a traditional school. But Mr. Keating wasn’t doing that to disrespects the rules, as they thought. He does that to make his students understand that literature, poetry, is not something you can read in a book and learn. Poetry becomes poetry when you put your soul in it.

    3. Neil told this to Todd after his parents had given the same present at the last year. Todd was upset, thinking that they don’t care about him, and Neil was trying to help, making him laugh of all that.

    6. In this scene Mr. Keating stands upon his desk, and than let everyone do the same. But this is not just for only remind his self that he have to look at things in a different ways, but to show that in that class everyone had the same value.

    9. In that scene, make clear to us that Neil’s father wants a brilliant future for him, but he’d never asks Neil’s opinion. Mr. Perry thinks that Neil has to enjoy the opportunities that he probably didn’t have when he was young. He wants his son follows a future that he wanted to have had.

    13. That is the part that Todd shows that he really changed, and his thankful to Mr. Keating. He also shows his fidelity, his courage and his love. After that, almost everybody do the same thing, cause they all know that Mr. Keating was not a villain in that story, but a big hero that teach them the signification of life, the size of the day.

    ResponderExcluir